The Mt. Hollywood Trail in Griffith Park is one of the best places to catch the sunset over Los Angeles and several of its major landmarks, like the Griffith Observatory and DTLA skyline.
SCREENSHOT THESE DIRECTIONS: Hike to Observatory Trails Peak
- Trailhead Address: 2800 E Observatory Rd, Los Angeles, CA 90027
- Parking: $4/hr parking in the Observatory lot or FREE parking along N. Vermont Canyon Rd.
- Distance: 3 miles round-trip
- Difficulty: 🌮🌮🌮 out of 5
- Step-By-Step Instructions:
- The trail begins at the back of Observatory parking lot. You’ll see a sign for Mt. Hollywood Hiking Trail/Charlie Turner Trailhead.
- Hike for .25 miles and cross over the bridge.
- Veer to the left and follow the trail for about .4 miles to the switchback.
- Follow the trail to the right and head up the steep incline until you reach the fork at the top of the hill.
- Once here, there’s an overlook you can rest at. You’ll be able to see the actual destination from here — it’s the overlook at the top of the hill with a wood fence around it.
- Follow the fork to the right (you can also go left, but the right is less steep).
- Hike along the right side of the hill for .4 miles. You’ll pass a garden called Dante’s View.
- At the next fork, veer left and hike along the Valley-facing side of the hill.
- You’ll quickly reach another fork in about .1 miles. Keep sticking to the left until you reach the Observatory Trails Peak.