Escape into a maze of plants & trees at night.
Escape into a maze of plants & trees without ever leaving Los Angeles. You won’t even have to worry about getting lost because reception works fine in case you need to reference a map.
The hike to Amir’s Garden in Griffith Park is a short, relatively easy trek that can be done at night with 2 or more people (safer to hike in groups at night).
Ambient light from an adjacent driving range and the glow of nearby Glendale keeps the uphill part of the path partially lit, making it perfect for hiking in the evening.
Still, I recommend bringing a flashlight if anything to avoid horse crap on parts of the trail.
Once you reach the summit, you can explore the lush corridors & pathways of Amir’s Garden or take a break at one of the many benches/picnic tables.
Either way it’s euphoric when you start to notice your senses heighten, like hearing every bustling branch and smelling all the floral scents – all while embracing the darkness of the garden.
SCREENSHOT THESE DIRECTIONS: Hike to Amir’s Garden
- Trailhead Address: Mineral Wells Picnic Area, Griffith Park Dr, Los Angeles, CA 90027
- Parking: Free parking around Mineral Wells Picnic Area. I think you have to move your vehicle by 10pm.
- Distance: Approx .8 miles.
- Difficulty: 🌮 out of 5
- Step-By-Step Instructions:
- From the parking lot, walk to the southwestern corner of the Mineral Wells Picnic Area. The trail begins across the street from that.
- Head up the steep hill and continue onto the wide wooden stairs. (Watch out for rebar sticking out of the ground).
- Hike until you reach a 3-way junction as you approach the top. Turn left and it’ll take you right into the gardens.
- We explored around here for a while. The garden is a maze at night, but you should be able to find your way out instinctually.
- When you’re ready to leave: You can retrace your steps to get back, or head east out of the garden until you find the “entrance.” (We didn’t actually enter through the entrance.)
- From here, follow the path down and go right at the junction.
- Continue on until you reach the street and walk back to the parking lot.